Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Frisco, Minersville, & Parowan Gap

Monday, August 31, 2009

Today is a catch-up-with-life day. Laundry was in by 8:30 and done by 10. By now Fred and I look like shaggy dogs. I haven’t had my hair cut since July 4! So off we went in search of a salon. Wal-Mart in Cedar City had a salon and we both came out looking presentable again. We did some grocery shopping and then were right to go.

So off to a ghost town the stylist told me about. The mining town of Frisco grew to a population of about 4,000 people, along with their ration of saloons and brothels, etc. Ten years into mining, there was a mine collapse at the changing of shifts. Luckily no one was killed but the mining and the town petered out.

The mine was located on a mountain side.



And the town a short distance to the north, also on the side of a mountain. The ruins of the old hotel and the assay house still remain.

The old town cemetery lies closer to the road. Many of the graves are surrounded by fences or rocks. Many are babies. We took pictures of all the old stones that we could find. Here are a few.

On our way back, we stopped at the Minersville cemetery and took some pictures for Find A Grave.com.

Also along the road back, we came upon Parowan petroglyphs in the Parowan Gap.

This is a picture of Parowan Gap. On the right, you can see the large upright black area where the petroglyphs are.

On the ground level of the above picture, you can barely make out this structure.

Some sunset pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I visited the Gap Sept. 22, 2009, and took many of the same pictures. However, my battery died before I was able to take a shot of the "God's Own House" marker. I searched the Web for it, and you were an angel for answering my quest. My search was in part for fammily history. Two of my second great grandfathers, John Eyre and Charles Young Webb, were part of the Pratt expedition. John Eyre homesteaded near the Gap, two miles north of the Little Salt Lake. Thanks again for your Blog. I too have visited the Grand Canyon North Rim, Pikes Peak (on a glorious, clear, September day), and Garden of the Gods. Darlene, Sandy, Utah.

    ReplyDelete